PROCLAIMING THE WORD OF GOD
The lector is instituted to proclaim the readings from the Sacred Scripture, with the exception of the Gospel. He/She may also announce the intentions for the Universal Prayer and, in the absence of a psalmist, recite the Psalm between the readings.
Activities and Responsibilities
- Prepares for her/his role by rehearsing, praying over and coming to understand the biblical text assigned her/him for a particular liturgical celebration.
- Participates fully in the liturgy as an exemplary member of the assembly. Proclaims the biblical text with clarity, conviction, dignity and understanding.
- Expresses reverence and decorum in carrying out this and other aspects of her/his role according to the general liturgical norms (procession, handling the book, etc).
- Is faithful to the schedule of assignments and helpful in assuring that all the local community’s liturgical assemblies are adequately served with this ministry.
- Confirmed Catholic and registered member of the parish and at least 16 years old.
- To feel called by the Holy Spirit to proclaim God’s Word.
- Be responsible for finding a substitute lector when can’t read on assigned date.
- Be expressive and learn to project your voice with or without a microphone.
- A willingness to grow in understanding the scriptures through study, prayer and reflections. Enthusiastic and good public speaking skills. A spirit of generosity.
- At least an 2-3 hours throughout the week prior to your assigned reading to read and reread the assigned passage in the Lector Workbook (and/or Bible) and any surrounding text to help get a fuller understanding of the assigned reading.
- Suggestion: read each Sunday’s readings (whether you are scheduled or not) sometime prior to coming to Mass in order to get more out of the liturgy.
We are blessed to have so many wonderful members of our parish community as lectors who share their ministry with our community.
We will be honored to welcome you if you are interested in becoming a Lector. We have training scheduled throughout the next year.
(931) 526-2575 ext 305